Welcome to the story of Raub Gold

Another Death


The Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser  28 M ay 1901

The Malay Mail says :- A great gloom spread over the Raub Field when it became known that Mr. Fred Bibby had passed away at 11 p.m. on Saturday night. Kind hearted, genial Fred Bibby deserved all the goodwill which he secured; and it is not given to all to be so unanimously and greatly regretted. He leaves a widow and 3 sons, two sons being twins who were born in Kuala Lumpur about 3 years ago.. Mr. Bibby was a finished batsman and field, and played for St. Arnaud against Lord Hawke’s XI making respectable double figures in both innings. The funeral took place at 4 p.m. on Sunday.

Frederick, the author’s grandfather, had already made plans to leave Raub after his father’s death. He had already sent Annie and the boys home to St Arnaud in August 1900.

Notice of his death not only appeared in the States press but also in the North Central News, a St Arnaud paper. It said;

“Mr. Fred Bibby a former grocer who went mining in Raub, Singapore, died there aged 31. His wife and sons - one age 7 and twins age 2½ have been waiting for his return since August 1900.”

Copyright © Victor R. P. Bibby 2012 All rights reserved.

No part of this web site may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior permission of the copyright owner.


The Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser 1 June

From Raub a correspondent writes:- A gloom was cast over Raub on Sunday 19th May, when it became known that Mr. Fred. A. Bibby had died at his brother’s house the night before. Mr. Fred Bibby had been in charge of the Raub Coy’s steam mill for a period of three years, and had just severed his connection with them and was intending to return immediately to Australia. The deceased was 30 years of age at the time of his death. He leaves a wife and three sons who are in Australia. The immediate cause of death was internal haemorrhage caused by prolonged fever and dysentery. The funeral, which was very simple and impressive, took place on Sunday afternoon in the presence of the European residents, Mr. Mason, the District Officer reading the burial service.